Monday, May 6, 2013

Cream of Chicken with Rice Soup

     I would love to use the convenience of canned creamed soups.  There are healthy ones now with minimum calories and salt.  However, they still have that problem of having milk or cream in them so I have had to come up with my own.  The good part is I am able to control the ingredients, and once you are sure you like this recipe, you can double the recipe so you can take it to work to heat for lunch or to have as a course with dinner.
     Here are some hints I have learned.  First, it is worth the time to brown the mushrooms and then simmer them in the Marsala wine until the wine is gone.  It adds a flavor boost and the alcohol will be gone so sensative stomachs will not be bothered.  Second hint, after you wash the celery, remove the strings.  It will be easier to digest.  Third hint, I use the cooked chickens from the grocery store.   It saves me time from cooking a chicken.

                                                    Cream of Chicken with Rice Soup


1 box mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 tlbsp. stick margarine
1/3 cup Marsala wine
1 cooked chicken breast, skin removed and cut in 1/2 in. cubes
1 carrot peeled and sliced
1 celery rib washed, strings removed then chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp. onion powder
2 14.5 oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
3 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. cumin
3 tblsp. stick margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 cups lactose free milk

     In a skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, melt the 2 tblsp. margarine.  Add the mushrooms and stir occasionally until the mushrooms are browned.  Turn off the flame and add the wine.  Turn the flame on low and let the mushrooms simmer until the liquid is gone.  Set aside
     In a saucepan add the chicken and next nine ingredients along with the mushrooms.  Bring to a boil and turn the flame down so they simmer.
     In another saucepan melt 3 tblsp. stick margarine.  Over it sift 1/4 cup of flour.  Stir together until there is a paste.  Then add the milk and whisk together.  Once they are mixed together, turn the flame to medium-low until the mixture simmers and begins to thicken.  When it is thick, mix it with the ingredients in the saucepan with the chicken.  If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth or milk.  Depending on the size of your servings, serves about 4 people.
     Next week I'll share my brownie recipe.  I thought I would never get this perfected, but finally I believe I have.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment