Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

       I love Mexican food.  We would have it every night for dinner, but my husband Jay doesn't like it that much nor does my stomach.  I thought with my diagnosis of GERD, gastritis, and lactose intolerance one of my favorites was gone forever.
        Once I figured out how to make la sagna, I was on my way to chicken enchiladas with just a few changes.  First, I put fresh cilantro in each enchilada as I am assembling it.  If you aren't familiar with cilantro, it's in the produce section and it is an acquired taste.  Make sure you like it before you put it in a dozen enchiladas.  Second, I cut the onion in slices and cut the slices in half and then saute them.  I leave the onion in big pieces so I can find them after the enchiladas are baked and can remove them.  I like the flavor of them cooked in the enchiladas but I can't eat them.  If even having the real onions is going to bother you, substitute 2 tsp. dried minced onion.  If it isn't, cut them in smaller pieces.  Third, there are many soy and rice cheeses you can use.  They really look and taste like the real thing and melt on top.  My favorite is the soy cheddar, jack, mozzarrella.  I leave a few black olives to sprinkle on top to make it look nice.    

                                                           Chicken Enchiladas

1 dozen corn tortillas(You can substitute flour if you want)
2 cans tomato soup
equivalent of 1 can lactose free milk
1 tsp. cumin
3 small cans or 1 large can of sliced black olives, drained
3 tblsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
4 chicken breasts (you can save time by using leftover chicken or using cooked chickens from the      grocery store.)
1/2 onion sliced and each slice cut in half
3 cloves minced garlic
2 cups soy or rice cheddar or cheddar, jack, mozzarrella cheese combination

     Cook chicken and cut in small cubes.  Set aside.
     Saute onions.  When they are nearly done, add garlic.  (If you are using dried onion, just add the dried onion and garlic to the next step.) When they are cooked add soup, milk, and cumin.  Stir and let simmer.
     In small amounts, steam the tortillas in damp paper towels in the microwave oven. 
     Spray a 9 in. square baking dish.  Spoon a small amount of sauce in the bottom of the dish.  In the center of each tortilla spoon a little sauce, some chicken, cilantro, olives, and cheese.  Roll tortilla and continue until you have one layer of the dish filled.  Spoon sauce over the enchiladas then continue with another layer until all the tortillas are used.  Finish with a layer of sauce, sprinkling of cheese and a sprinkling of olives.                 Bake at 375 for 30 min.    Check to make sure it doesn't burn.

See you next week for my favorite dessert:  Cheesecake  It was the first recipe I converted after my diagnosis because I knew I couldn't live without it.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment