Monday, February 4, 2013

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

     One of the dishes I missed when I was diagnosed was barbeque.  But how to make barbeque without a tomato base?  There are plenty of recipes for rubs, but many are spicy.  I try to be a neat eater at the table (my family can tell you of my frequent failings), but there is something about good barbeque that if you are not fully immersed in the eating at least up to your wrists, you're not involved enough.  This meant I needed to create a sauce without tomato and wasn't too spicy but still was tasty and a bit messy.  I think I have a winner here.  Again, I have used my husband as the test subject even though he has no eating restrictions and he thought it tasted great and was happy to have leftovers since we couldn't finish all the sandwiches at one meal and the meat and sauce actually tasted better the next day.  There is 1/4 cup cider vinegar in the recipe.  I usually try to stay away from that much vinegar because of how acidic it is on the stomach.  But in proportion with the other ingredients it doesn't seem to be a problem.
     I hope you enjoy this as much as we did and it fills a void you thought you couldn't have.

                                                             Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Lemon-pepper or garlic-lemon marinated pork roast (about 2 lb.)
2 tblsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tblsp. dijon mustard
3/4 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. garlic salt
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup water
2 tblsp. corn starch
6 tblsp. water
6 buns, hamburger, crusty rolls, your choice

     Place the pork in a crockpot which has been sprayed with vegetable spray.  In a bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic salt, minced garlic and water.  After whisking together, pour over the pork.  Cut the roast in several pieces if necessary to make sure the pork is completely covered with liquid.
     Cook in high for five hours or on low if you need to be away all day.  When the meat begins to fall apart, drain the liquid into a sauce pan.  Shred the meat and and put on an oven proof plate.  Cover it with foil and place in a low temperature oven.
      Turn the heat on low under the sauce.  In a cup combine the corn starch and keep adding the water 1 tblsp. at a time until it is combined.  While whisking, slowly drizzle the corn starch mixture into the sauce and continue whisking until the corn starch mixture is mixed in and the sauce thickens. Turn up the heat if the sauce doesn't seem to be thickening.
     Toast the buns.  Serve the meat and sauce separately or combine them.  Refrigerate any leftovers.
     Next week I'll share my recipe for chicken tortilla soup.  It's very comforting on chilly nights.
     I also wanted to announce that my first novel has been published.  This was a day I thought would never happen but here it is.  The book is called "The Secret in the Romanov Vest."  It is a mystery/historical drama/with some humor thrown in to keep it light.  At the moment it is only available as an ebook so you will need some type of electronic reader to read it like a kindle, nook, or tablet.  I know you can find it at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com and if you Google the title you can find other websites as well. 
     I appreciate the support you have given my blog and I hope I have been helpful to all of you who have been checking out my recipes.  Until next time.
    
























No comments:

Post a Comment