Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Homemade Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

     One of my favorite dishes to order out for breakfast used to be biscuits and gravy.   However, after I developed my eating disabilities, I realized if I was going to eat this again I was going to have to make it myself.  Previously, I made some dill biscuits, but I wanted to make something a little different.  I tried several different recipes and ended up remaking one of my aunt's recipes using margarine and lactose free milk instead of butter and buttermilk.  You could serve the biscuits for breakfast or dinner without the gravy.

                                                 Homemade Biscuits with Sausage Gravy


Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (1 stick) margarine (cold)
2/3 cup lactose free milk

     Sift dry ingredients together. Cut margarine in small pieces.  First mix all ingredients together in the container with the dry ingredients.  When the milk is incorporated enough so it won't run, turn the mixture out on a floured board and mix with your hands until all ingredients are mixed together.  At this point you can pat the dough to the desired thickness or use a floured rolling pin.  About 1/2 inch thick for thicker biscuits (thick enough you can slice in half) or 1/4 inch thick for thinner biscuits (you won't be able to slice in half).  Use a biscuit cutter or small glass to cut the biscuits.  Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with baking spray.  Bake at 425F for 10 minutes.  Makes about 14 biscuits

Sausage Gravy:
8 oz. sausage of choice
3 tblsp. stick margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 1/2 cup lactose milk

     Chop sausage in a frying pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray and cook until done.  Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.  Pour off any grease and reuse the same pan.  Melt the margarine.  Sift the flour over the melted margarine and whisk the two together.  Add the milk and poultry seasoning.  Whisk until the mixture is smooth and continue to cook over a medium flame until the mixture is thickened.  Stir the sausage back in to the gravy.  Makes about three cups.
     Next time I will share my recipe for bacon herb potatoes.  They can be served hot, cold, or room temperture so they are perfect for the coming warm months.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment