Monday, June 24, 2013

Bacon Herb Potatoes

     There was a time when there were two kinds of potatoes at the grocery store:  red skinned and brown skinned.  But now there are many kinds and I wanted to start incorporating them in my recipes.  For this recipe I used baby red potatoes, but if they aren't available you can use regular red potatoes or other potatoes of your choice.  Just don't peel them and cut them in pieces 1 inch by 1/2 inch.

                                                                  Bacon Herb Potatoes


2 lb. baby red potatoes, washed, cut in 4-6 pieces
4 slices turkey bacon
1/2 cup washed, minced fresh herbs of choice (I used rosemary, thyme, chives, parsley)
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil

     Place potatoes in a heavy saucepan and just cover with water.  Turn on the heat until the water boils, then turn the heat down until the potatoes are fork tender.  Drain potatoes.  While potatoes are cooking, cook turkey bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.  When it is cool, crumble.
     When the potatoes and bacon are done and the herbs have been minced, place in a mixing bowl.  Add the garlic and olive oil and toss.  This dish can be served hot, cold, or room temperature which makes it perfect for summer.  You can easily serve it for your next sit down dinner or picnic.
     Next week I will be sharing my recipe for loaded potato soup.  I've seen this on restaurant menus and thought I could make this for myself, and I was able to.  See you next time.
    
       








No comments:

Post a Comment