Sunday, September 29, 2013

Peach Cobbler

     Fall is in the air and it is cool enough to bake.  Some of the late summer fruit is still available and if not feel free to use frozen.  As I said last week, we have a peach tree and all the fruit came on at once so I had to figure out what to do with it.  I've already canned and made enough preserves to last me a lifetime so I decided to make cobbler and I now have enough in the freezer to last all winter.  I suggest you serve this warm with vanilla lactose free ice cream on the side.
     I made this recipe with Splenda instead of sugar because my husband diabetic and also people with acid reflux should also watch their sugar intake.  I also used ground mace instead of cinnamon.  It is a nice go between cinnamon and nutmeg.

                                                                      Peach Cobbler



1 1/2 tblsp. corn starch, sifted
1/4 tsp. ground mace
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
4 cups peeled, diced peaches

Topping
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup crushed granola cereal
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground mace
pinch salt
4 tblsp. stick margarine
1/3 cup chopped almonds

     In a sauce pan combine the first four ingredients and cook until thickened.  Add the peaches and stir until the peaches are covered.  Spoon into an 8 or 9 in. square baking dish which has been sprayed with vegetable spray.  Set aside.
     Topping:  Mix the first six ingredients.  Cut in the margarine until the margarine is the size of peas.  Add the almonds.  Spoon on top of the peaches and spread evenly.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 min.
     Next week I'll share another pizza recipe using a different crust and toppings.  It's football season so it's time to be ready with pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment