Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cherry Almond Muffins

     Who doesn't like to wake up to the aroma of muffins baking in the morning?  Granted that means someone has to get up and make them, but you could make these muffins the night before and, if you're able to wait until morning, which I'm not sure you can, you can warm them up and have warm muffins for breakfast.  They are easy to make and I'm sure you'll enjoy the tart-tangy taste of the cherries.  Because my husband is a diabetic, which I've mentioned before, and now my doctor has mentioned I need to watch my sugar intake as well, I've been experimenting with Splenda.  I've tried agave without much success.  The first batch of these muffins made just with Splenda ended up in the wastebasket.  When I went to half sugar and half Splenda they turned out much better.  You're welcome to make them with all sugar but if you're looking for a place to save some calories, here you are.

                                                      Cherry Almond Muffins
                                                     


4 tblsp. stick margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Splenda 
1 egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 cup flour
3/8 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup soy sour cream
1 cup dried cherries
1/4 lactose free milk
1/2 cup (2 oz. pkg.) sliced almonds

     Cream together margarine and sugar, then add Splenda.  Add egg and extracts.  In a separate bowl mix flour and baking soda.  Add to sugar mixture.  Add milk and soy sour cream and mix just until combined being careful not to overmix.  Add cherries.
     Put cupcake cups in eight cups of a cupcake pan or for crispier muffins spray eight cups in a cupcake pan with vegetable spray.  Fill the cups with batter about two thirds full.  Divide the the almonds evenly between the muffins and sprinkle on the top.  Press slightly to make sure they stick.  Bake at  375 for 20 minutes or until the top begins to brown and it springs back when touched.  Makes 8 muffins.
     Next week I'll share my recipe for chicken picata.  It's one of my favorite dishes but in restaurants there is always butter and lemon juice and they both cause problems for me, but I have found a way around this.  See you next time.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment