Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Manhattan Clam Chowder

     Before I write about manhattan clam chowder, I need to acknowledge an error I made a couple of weeks ago.  I said my recipe for the next week was going to be nachos, but then the next week came and I wrote a recipe for something else.  So next week, I promise, the nacho recipe.
     I have always preferred the New England clam chowder which is creamy and tastes so good on cold winter nights.  Now that I have figured out a way around the dairy products, while I can't have it in a restaurant, I can at least make it for myself.
     I didn't give much thought to Manhattan clam chowder since it is tomato based and didn't seem worth the trouble.  I came across a recipe the other day that changed my mind.  I made some changes and the following is the result.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did.

                                                     Manhattan Clam Chowder                                                   


3 slices turkey bacon
4 small or 3 large potatoes
2 tblsp. olive oil
2 ea 6.5 oz cans minced clams w/ juice plus
   1 can of water
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. dried onion
1 11 oz. can tomato soup plus one can of water
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, save 2 tsp. for garnish

     In a frying pan, saute bacon on medium-high heat until crispy watching it carefully that it doesn't burn.  When it is done, set it aside to drain on paper towels.  Peel potatoes and slice in thin slices.
Heat olive oil in the same pan the bacon was cooked in and fry the potatoes until they are done and are browned. 
     Add the remaining ingredients except the parsley.  Bring to a boil.  Turn the flame down and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Stir in the parsley.  Let simmer a few more minutes to make sure the parsley heated.  Spoon into two soup bowls.  Garnish each with one teaspoon of parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment