Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Flourless Chocolate Cake

     I'm often envious of other's when they order flourless chocolate cake knowing I can't have any so I was determined to find a way I could make it for myself.  After tinkering with the recipe a few times I was very pleased and even my husband liked it.  He's trying to cut down on sugar so I used some Splenda but you can use the same amount of sugar if you want.  Increase the amount of instant coffee if you want more of a mocha flavor

Cake:
1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
4 tblsp. stick margarine
1/4 cup sugar plus 2 tblsp. Splenda
1/4 tsp. instant coffee
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup cocoa

Glaze:
1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
3 tblsp. lactose free milk

     Cake:  preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Carefully melt the chocolate chips and margarine in the microwave or over low heat just until the chips are soft.  Remove from heat and stir until combined.  Stir in sugar, Splenda, instant coffee and vanilla, then add eggs, beating just until smooth.  Sift cocoa powder over the mixing bowl and mix just until combined.
     Pour into an 6 1/2 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with vegetable spray and has waxed paper or parchment paper on the bottom that has also been sprayed.  I've tried doing this without the waxed paper and ended up glueing the pieces of my cake together with glaze.
     Bake 20-25 min., when done, the top should have a thin crust and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register a minimum of 200 degrees F.

     Glaze:  After the cake has cooled completely it can be glazed.  Combine the the chocolate  chips and milk and melt the same as with the cake.  Spread the glaze over the cake and allow it to drip over the sides.  The glaze should set for several hours before serving the cake. For a larger cake, use an 8" pan and double the ingredients, same temperature, start at 25 minutes and keep and eye on your cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment