Monday, August 20, 2012

How to Make Guacamole

     I love guacamole.  Before I was diagnosed with GERD and gastritis I had the best recipe which called for onion juice, lemon juice and chili powder.  After my diagnosis, bye-bye guacamole.  Well, not exactly, I knew I just had to recreate the recipe so I could eat it again.  My three new friends to spice up recipes but not cause problems later on are onion powder, garlic powder and garlic salt.  Be especially sparing with the garlic salt because if you use it too heavy handed your dish will be too salty.
     I have made the proportions using half an avocado.  Since my husband and I are empty nesters and don't always eat the same dishes for dinner, I have given the recipe for guacamole for one person.  Just multiply if you are serving it to a larger group.
     Don't limit yourself to using guacamole just for dip with tortilla chips, it can also be used on tacos (beef, chicken, and fish) and seven layer dip or vegetables.
     Remember to make this close to the time you are going to serve it or mix all the ingredients except the mayonaise.  Place all the mixed ingredients together and cover with the mayonaise and mix completely at the time guacamole will be served.  This way the avocado won't turn brown.

                                                                    Guacamole

1/2 avocado
1tblsp + 1 tsp. mayonaise
1/2 tsp onion pwdr.
1/4 tsp garlic pwdr.
1/8 tsp. garlic salt

Cut avocado in half, twist and use the half without pit.  Return the half with the pit to the refrigerator.  Peel the avocado half without the pit and mash it.  Mix in the onion and garlic powder and garlic salt.  If serving soon, mix in mayonaise, if not, cover avocado and seasonings with mayonaise and return to refrigerator.  Mix at time of serving.  Serves 1

Next time, a favorite dip of mine: Spinach artichoke dip.  When I see people in restaurants have this I want to join them, but I know there are too many dairy products for me to eat without feeling awful later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment