Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Spinach Artichoke Dip

     Spinach artichoke dip looks so good when I see it at a restaurant or at a buffet, but I know it is hands off.  The dairy products alone plus whatever else is hidden inside will cause hours of pain.  But I was determined not to be left out.  My husband (guinea pig) and I went through several attempts at the recipe before we settled on the winner.  I know most people are drawn by the overflow of bubbling cheese, but my recipe is more figure friendly but still retains the taste.  This is because I use nondairy products and they don't contain the same fat level.  Don't worry that the taste will be eliminated.  Between the marinated artichoke hearts, soy cream cheese with herbs and chives, chopped green olives, cheddar-jack-mozzarella soy cheese, onion and garlic powder and liquid from  the marinated artichoke hearts there will be plenty of taste.

                                                             Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 12 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drain-save the liquid- and quarter
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrost
2 tblsp. chopped green olives
2 oz. soy cream cheese w/ herbs and chives (if not available, use plain and add 1/4 tsp. Italian seas.)
3/4 cup cheddar-jack-mozzarella soy cheese
1/2 tsp. ea. onion and garlic powder
3 tblsp. liquid from the artichoke hearts

     Save the liquid from the artichoke hearts and then quarter them.  Defrost the spinach and use paper towels to press out the liquid.  Then add them to the bowl with the artichoke hearts.  Chop the green olives and add them to the bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well without tearing up the artichoke hearts.  Spoon into a baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray.  Bake at 375 for 10 to 15 min.  Check to make sure it doesn't burn.  The dip may need to bake longer, especially if you are baking it with other items for a party.

     Next week Beef Stroganoff.  This recipe is a tribute to a relative who has passed on.  Her kitchen smelled good the moment you walked in.  I imagined that when I grew up my kitchen would be the same.  I don't know that I have pulled that off, but I have remade her recipe so I can now eat it and I hope she would be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment