Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How To Make Pizza

With football season upon us, most people equate that with pizza season.  Those of us with eating disabilities waiting on the sidelines are wondering when it will be our chance to be put in the game.  None of the traditional ingredients are on our acceptible list:  pepperoni, tomato sauce, cheese, onions, peppers and sausage.  It appears all we're left with is the dough which isn't very interesting.  I love pizza and was determined to get it back on my list of acceptible foods. 
     The crust is a very individual taste.  Some people want it thin and crispy, others want it thick and chewy.  Chicago and New York battle over which city has the best pizza.  Personally I like a crispy crust.  If you have a favorite crust that agrees with your system, feel free to use it, particulary if you eat gluten-free.  I like the corn meal crust at Whole Foods market.  It is thick enough to hold the ingredients but still has a crunch to it.  They come two to a package so I make two pizzas at a time.  I eat one and freeze the other.  Then when I am ready for pizza again, I don't have to make it.
     My second challenge was the sauce.  Tomato sauce was out so I decided to use artichoke antipasto.  To get all the liquid out of it, I spread it on several paper towels.  This keeps the pizza from getting soggy.
     For meat I use Canadian bacon, but you could also crumble turkey bacon which has been cooked until it is crispy.  This, of course, is not as spicy as pepperoni or sausage, but a few hours after eating the pizza you will be glad you didn't have the pepperoni or sausage.
     The toppings are a matter of personal choice.  I like black olives, green olives (cut in half or else the roll all over the place-I learned from experience-use the sparingly) artichoke hearts-also well drained, rice mozzarella cheese and soy cheddar-jack-mozzarella flavor cheese.  If you have learned that you can eat cheese made from goat's or sheep's milk you could also use that.
     Pizza for people with our eating issues is more about being creative with the ingredients available than focusing on what we can't have.  I have made this pizza for my husband who has no eating issues and he likes it just fine and I hope you will too.

                                                                      Pizza

2 ea. corn meal pizza crusts from Whole Foods or pizza crusts of your choice
12 oz.jar artichoke antipasto
1 pkg. Canadian bacon and/or 8 turkey bacon strips (cook bacon crispy and drain)
2 ea.  2.25 oz. can sliced black olives
16 ea green olives cut in half, and divided between pizzas
12 ea artichoke hearts, drained and quartered, and divided between pizzas
2/3 cup soy, rice, goat's or sheep's cheese

Preheat oven to 475 and place pizza stones, if available, in oven.  Drain artichoke antipasto on paper towels to get as much liquid out as possible.  Divide the antipasto between the two crusts and bake for 4 minutes.  Remove from oven and add meat, olives, artichoke hearts, and cheeses.  Return to oven.  Bake until all ingredients are hot and cheeses are melted, about 5-7 min.  Watch to make sure nothing burns.
     If you don't have pizza stones reduce heat to 375 and use baking sheets with a baking rack set on top.  This allows heat to circulate all around the pizza but you must still watch to make sure nothing burns.  The pizza will probably take longer to bake.

     My apologies for being away last week.  I was planning a family reunion for my mother's ninetieth bithday party.  It was a great success and she was really pleased we had all gathered in her honor.

     Next week, an appetizer you can also serve at a football party and one of my favorites: guacamole.
I had this great recipe and once I had all these eating issues I thought I was going to just have a mashed up avocado, but I will be able to show you how you don't have to resort to that.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment