Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Herb Mashed Potatoes-Stuffed Chicken

     At first when I saw this recipe in a magazine I thought it might be too heavy, but the more I thought about it, the more intrigued I became and thought I would give it a try with my own spin and changes to fit my dietary needs.  You can adapt this recipe to fit your own taste by changing the herbs, not peeling the potatoes, or using a different potato than russet.  As always I am encouraging you to put your own spin on recipes but within your own eating disabilities.  I used Heinz bottled gravy but you can use the one you like the best.

                                                    Herb Mashed Potato-Stuffed Chicken

3 lb. peeled Russed potatoes, cut into chunks
1/3 cup lactose-free milk
2 tblsp. stick margarine
1 tsp. poultry seasoning, divided
2 minced cloves garlic
1 tsp. fresh finely minced rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 5 lb. chicken
1 jar 12 oz. chicken gravy
1/4 cup Marsala wine

     Preheat oven to 400.  Peel potatoes, cut into chunks and put on to boil.  Cook until soft all the way through and drain.  Mash with lactose-free milk and stick margarine.  Add 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  Set aside.
     Wash chicken thoroughly inside and out and remove giblets inside.  Discard then or put aside for another use.  Stuff as much of the mashed potato mixture inside the chicken as comfortably possible. 
     On a baking pan lined with foil place the chicken.  If you have a rack you can place the chicken on, do so.  Before placing the chicken on it, spray liberally with vegetable spray, cleanup will be so much easier.  After the chicken is in place, brush the chicken with margarine with a basting brush.
     Check chicken after one hour.  When the thermometer reads 165 degrees 2 inches into the inner thigh without touching the thigh and the center of the stuffing is at 180 degrees, then your chicken is done.  Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 15 minutes.
      Meanwhile, take the stuffing that was not in the chicken and place in a sauce pan.  Remove the stuffing from the chicken and add it to the saucepan.  Mix together and add a little more lactose-free milk if necessary.  Mix over a low flame until the two are combined and heated through.
       In another saucepan, combine chicken gravy, wine, and 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning.  Mix with a whisk and heat through.
        By now the chicken is ready to slice and serve with the potatoes and gravy.  Enjoy!

        Next week I will be sharing my recipe for Pineapple Cream Cake.  While I like the taste of pineapple, it is too acidic for me to eat, but I have found a way I can have it and I think you will enjoy this recipe.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment