Monday, April 22, 2013

Buttermilk Dill Biscuits

     I have missed buttermilk biscuits, but since there is no such thing as lactose free buttermilk, no buttermilk biscuits for me, or many other people either.  In one of the many catalogs that I receive I saw they offered buttermilk powder.  Maybe I could combine that with lactose free milk and make biscuits.  My husband and I were very pleased with the result and sorry when they were gone, which came to quickly.
     You can find buttermilk powder by shopping online.  I bought mine from King Arthur Flour.

                                                              Buttermilk Dill Biscuits


2 cups all- purpose flour
2 tblsp. buttermilk powder
1 tblsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/3 cup chilled stick margarine, cut into pieces
3/4 cup  plus 2 tblsp. lactose free milk
1 1/2 tsp. dill weed

     Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, buttermilk powder, baking powder, dill weed, salt, and pepper.  Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add milk and stir just until moistened.
     On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.  Use a 2-inch-diameter biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits and transfer them to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with baking spray.
     Bake them about 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Makes about 18 biscuits.
     Next week I will share my recipe for broccoli cheddar soup.  This is one of my favorite soups and I was jealous last week when my husband ordered it when we were out so I figured out how I could have it.  By the way, it goes nicely with the buttermilk dill biscuits.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment