Monday, April 8, 2013

Mexican Pizza

     Mexican pizza is a cross between Mexican and Italian food.  Both of these are limited to those of us with eating disabilities, but this is a tasty main dish which can be adapted to your tastes by the toppings you use.
      I suggest that you keep an eye on the tortillas as they bake as they can burn easily and they sometimes puff up.  If they puff up, poke them with a meat fork and they will deflate and give you a flat surface for your pizza base.
     I like to use the rice mozzarella cheese for any kind of pizza topping because it melts and tastes like real mozzarella cheese.

                                                                 Mexican Pizza

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
6 large flour tortillas
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
3/4 cup rice mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste

     Heat oven to 400F.  Brown meat until no longer pink.  Pour off fat.  Stir in garlic, oregano, onion powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper if desired.  Heat briefly.

     Brush tortillas lightly with oil.  Bake tortillas directly on oven racks until crisp.  This only takes 2 or 3 minutes usually.  Mix olives into meat mixture.  When tortillas are crisp, remove from oven.  Spoon equal amounts of meat mixture on top of each tortilla and top with equal amount of cheese.  Return to oven racks and bake until cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
     Next week I will share my recipe for pumpkin pudding.  I developed this recipe originally for my son because he doesn't like anything with cream cheese in it.  Once I developed my eating disabilities I redesigned this recipe for myself.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment