Monday, July 1, 2013

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

     The other day my daughter had dinner with a friend and mentioned she had loaded baked potato soup for dinner.  That sounded so good to me, but I knew I could never order it out, but I could figure out how to make it at home.  By changing ingredients to ones I could have, my husband and I enjoyed the result.  I served it with sour dough rolls.  You can serve it with a salad on the side, but keep in mind this soup is rich and filling.

                                                           Loaded Baked Potato Soup


2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes
1/2 cup chopped turkey bacon,  ham, or Canadian bacon
3 tblsp. stick margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cup lactose free milk
1 cup soy cheese blend cheddar, mozzarella and jack flavor
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 tblsp. fresh snipped chives

     Peel potatoes and cut in 1/2 inch cubes.  Boil in salt water until cooked through, but still firm.  Drain and set aside.
     Meanwhile, in a saucepan sprayed with cooking oil, cook the meat until crispy.  Drain on paper towels and set aside.
     Drain any grease from the saucepan and melt the stick margarine in it.  Sift the flour over the melted margarine and whisk together.  Add the milk and whisk until smooth.  Cook over a medium flame whisking until the mixture begins to thicken.  Add the cheese, onion powder, salt, and white pepper and mix together until they are combined.  If they thicken too much, add more milk.  When the cheese has melted, add potatoes and meat.  If it's too difficult to stir in the potatoes and meat, the mixture is too thick, so add a little more milk.  Add in the snipped chives.  When all items are completely mixed in and the mixture is hot, the soup is ready to serve.  Makes 4 servings.
     Next week I'll share my recipe for chocolate cheesecake.  See you next time and enjoy the 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment