Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bacon, Avocado, Cheese Omelet

     I've been watching DVD's of the Julia Child cooking shows.  When I was watching her make omelets I watched how she could make a plain omelet in twenty seconds. She said if you had a few people helping you, you could serve a few hundred people at a dinner party in twenty minutes.  I won't be having a few hundred people over for a dinner party, but it made me hungry for an omelet.
     My husband makes wonderful omelets.  Whenever we visit people, he usually gets to cook breakfast the next morning because they know he will make a custom omelet for them.
     I was intimidated by making omelets for a long time, but got over that when my mother was staying with us and that was one of the few things she could eat.  I'm not Julia Child, but I got so I could make a plain omelet in a few minutes.

                                              Bacon, Avocado, Cheese Omelet

                                      

2 slices of turkey bacon
2 eggs
2 tblsp. lactose free milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 slice lactose free muenster cheese

     Cut the turkey bacon in one quarter inch squares.  Cook them in a small frying pan until brown and crisp.  Turkey bacon can burn easily, so stir frequently.  When done, remove from pan and set on paper towel to drain.
     In a small mixing bowl whip the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper.  Spray the small pan you are cooking your omelet in.  Pour the egg mixture in and turn the heat to medium-high.  When  you can see the edges are getting done and you can lift the edge and see it is browning, put in the bacon, avocado, and slice of cheese which has been broken up in a vertical line just left of the center of the omelet.  Leave a little cheese and bacon to garnish the top, if you like.  Fold the omelet over and continue to cook on a lower flame so the eggs don't burn, but the inside ingredients get hot.  If you're concerned that you will burn the eggs, you can plate the omelet and put it in the oven for a few minutes or the microwave for a minute or so to finish cooking.  Before serving, it should be hot enough to garnish with the bacon and cheese and the cheese will begin to melt.  Makes 1 omelet.
     I always like to try a new cookie for the holidays.  Next week I'll share my new cookie recipe.
Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment