Monday, December 23, 2013

Raspberry Almond Thumbprints

     Just about everyone who bakes for the holidays has some version of this recipe in their file so I had never made them.  But I saw in a magazine where the dough was rolled in some ingredients before the jam was  put in and that intrigued me.  I decided to roll the dough in almonds and add some extracts and I think this really improved the cookie.

                           


                                                       Raspberry Almond Thumbprints

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 plus 1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 sticks margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg separated
1 1/2 tsp. lactose free milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. raspberry extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup jam

     Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl.  In the bowl of a mixer, beat margarine and sugar at a low speed until combined and then increase speed to medium- high until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add egg yolk and beat until combined.  Add milk and extracts.  Slowly add in the dry ingredients until the dough begins to clump in the center.  Scrape the dough into a plastic bag and refrigerate at least two hours or up three days.
    Preheat oven to 375.  Roll the chilled dough into 1-inch balls.  Beat the egg white.  Roll each ball into the egg white, then the chopped almonds and place on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it.  Leave two inches between cookies.  When all the cookies are on the cookie sheet, make an indentation and spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the indentation.  Bake about 20 minutes or just until brown around the edges.  Makes about 18 cookies
     Next week I will share my recipe for fruit cake cupcakes.  Before you head for the door because you just read fruit cake, there was a time I would be going with you, but I have tested these on my family.  They don't like fruit cake either, but they liked these and they would be a nice simple dessert for a New Year's Eve party.  Whatever holiday you may celebrate this week, my wishes for a happy and safe one.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment