Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Fruitcake Cupcakes

    I know fruitcake is the brunt of bad jokes during the holidays, but it has a long history, and while there are many bad ones, it is possible to have a good one.  I spotted this recipe in a magazine, and after making significant changes so I could eat it, it came out tasty and moist.  We even celebrated a family birthday and I used these as the birthday cake.

                                                                Fruitcake Cupcakes

                                             

Fruit/nut Mixture
2 cups dried fruit
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Sauce
1 stick margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 tblsp. light corn syrup
1/4 cup orange drink
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Cake
1/2 stick melted margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup orange drink

     Preheat oven to 350. Spray the cups of a 12-cup cupcake pan.  Combine the fruit and nuts and set aside.     Sauce:   In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, cook all ingredients until smooth and divide among the cups.  Top with the fruit/nut combination.
     Cake:  Whisk together butter, sugar, vanilla until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time and whisk well after each is added.  Whisk in the flour and orange drink.  When the batter is fully mixed, spoon it evenly between the cups.
     To keep your oven clean, place the cupcake pan on a cookie sheet which has been lined with parchment paper.  Bake 18-20 minutes until evenly browned and tester comes out clean.
     When the cupcakes are done, remove from the oven and cook for five minutes.  Run a spatula or knife around them and turn out on a baking sheet.  Some of the fruit/nut combination may stay in the pan, so scrape that out and place on the cupcakes.  These may be stored for a couple of days outside the refrigerator or for up to a week inside the refrigerator.
     Next week I will share my recipe for split pea soup with rosemary.  I will admit that I was not a fan of pea soup, but my husband likes it and when I found a recipe I could rework I decided to give it a try.  Mostly I was making this for my husband's benefit, but to my surprise, it was quite tasty and it is going to be one of my go-to dinners during the winter.  Don't laugh.  Those of us who grew up in Southern California actually think we have winter weather.
     Since I am writing this on December 31, I would like to wish everyone a happy and safe New Year!  See you next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment