Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Split Pea Soup with Rosemary

     I'll have to admit that when my husband pointed out a recipe for split pea soup I was less than enthusiastic.  I didn't mind making it for him, but I didn't want any.  Once I looked this recipe over and saw that if I made the necessary changes, I might have a good tasting soup, I decided to give it a try.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to making this soup again on a cold night.

                                                          Split Pea Soup with Rosemary
                                                        

2 tsp. olive oil
1 celery rib, strings removed, chopped (removing the strings makes the celery easier to digest)
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 minced garlic clove
3 slices Canadian bacon, edges trimmed, diced
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dried onion
1 cup dry split peas
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper

     Heat oil in a large pan and add celery and carrots.  Cook long enough until crisp tender.  Add Canadian bacon and garlic and stir frequently to prevent the garlic from burning.  Cook about one minute.  Add broth, dried onion, peas, bay leaf, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Bring all ingredients to a boil over med-high heat.  Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until the soup has thickened. 
     Depending on how high your heat is, the soup can thickened in 30 to 60 minutes.  Also, if you don't want to use Canadian bacon, you can substitute turkey bacon.  This recipe can serve 2-4 people depending on serving size.
     Next week I'll share my recipe for Rosemary Chicken and Roasted Potatoes in Red Wine Sauce.  This is very simple to make, doesn't take a lot of time and can even be served for company.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment