Monday, September 3, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

     Beef stroganoff turned out to be one of the friendliest recipe for me to change for my diet.  It is also a meat/sauce which once made can be put in a crock pot and set on low and not stirred again until you are ready to serve it.  This makes it convenient for our busy lives.
     You will notice I use real onions in this recipe.  I use them for flavor only.  Because they are in big pieces, I get the flavor but can find them and pull them to the side of my plate and not eat them.  If this doesn't appeal to you, use minced dried onion instead.
     My first instruction is to wash the mushrooms.  I have noticed on cooking shows they say to just rub the dirt off and not wash them but I can't tell that I have the dirt off, so I wash them.
     The meat instruction says to pat the meat dry before putting it in the bag with the flour, salt, and pepper.  This is a Julia Child trick.  No, I'm not comparing myself to Julia Child.


                                                                  Beef Stroganoff

1 box of mushrooms
1/4 cup marsala wine
1 Swiss or round steak, cut in cubes
1 tlbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 pepper
1 onion, sliced and the slices cut in half and separated
1 pint lactose free sour cream
1 can tomato soup
1 can beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Wash and slice mushrooms and saute in margarine until the mushrooms are brown.  Turn off flame and add marsala wine.  Turn flame back on and cook until wine is gone, stirring occasionally to keep the mushrooms from burning. Remove to a plate with a paper towel.
     Lightly saute onions and set aside.
     Place meat that has been patted dry in a bag with flour, salt and pepper, seal bag, and shake.  Pour entire contents in frying pan and brown.  Place meat, mushrooms, and onions in crock pot.  Mix sour cream substitute, tomato soup, broth, Worcestershire sauce and pour over meat mixture.  Stir to mix ingredients.  This is the only stirring you will do until you serving time.  Set the crock pot on low.  Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Serves 4

     Next week is Banana Cinnamon Crumb Cake.  I know people with GERD and gastritis are supposed to stay away from cinnamon, but I have found a way to use a box mix of cinnamon crumb cake, make some subtractions and additions which will still be tasty and our digestive issues won't have an uprising.
     Take care and enjoy the rest of Labor Day!   

No comments:

Post a Comment