Monday, September 10, 2012

Banana Cinnamon Crumb Cake

     Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices, but if you have GERD or gastritis,you're told you can't have it.  I was sad.  I'm an avid baker and had to give up one of my go to spices.  What I usually substitute is nutmeg.  If a recipe calls for cinnamon, use the same amount of nutmeg instead.
     But I still missed cinnamon.  Using a cinnamon crumb cake mix and only using part of the cinnamon mixture I was able to create a coffee cake I could eat and still enjoy the taste of cinnamon.  I hope you enjoy it too.
                                                         Banana Cinnamon Crumb Cake
1 box cinnamon crumb cake mix
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup water
1 egg

     Mix above ingredients into the batter that comes in the cake mix until combined.  Don't over mix, the batter will be lumpy.  Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of the batter in the baking dish.

3/4 cup of the cinnamon mixture from the cake mix, set the remainder aside
2 tlbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

     Mix the above ingredients and divide in half.  Sprinkle half over batter in baking dish.
     Drop by tablespoon the remaining batter, then sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture on top of the batter.  With a knife swirl the batter and cinnamon together.  Be careful just to swirl and not mix together.
     Bake at 350 for 40 min.  Use toothpick test to make sure it is done.
    
     I have also made this with 1 cup of fresh blueberries instead of the bananas for something different when the berries are in season.    

     Next week I have a recipe I have wanted to create for a while and finally got it perfected so I can share it:  Chicken Artchoke Mushroom Alfredo.  I was so pleased with the sauce, you could use the sauce alone to put over pasta for fettuccine alfredo. 

Take care and see you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment