Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Stromboli Dinner for Two

     Stromboli dinner for two may sound restrictive, it can be made for any amount of people.  I made it for two since my husband and I are empty nesters, but you can make it for as many as you want by increasing the number of refrigerated pizza crusts you use; unless you are really ambitious and make your own pizza crusts.  You can also stop at your local pizza shop and they will sell you an unbaked pizza crust for a few dollars, I'm told, I've never done it personally.
     The meat you put in the sandwich half is your choice.  Just make sure it is chopped in small pieces because otherwise you can't fold the dough over it.
     In the second half of the sandwich I made a cherry chocolate filling.  About everything I've read about GERD and gastritis told me I couldn't have chocolate.  After some investigation I learned I could buy dairy free chocolate chips.  I buy them at the health food store.  These aren't carob chips, they really are chocolate and I have been baking with them for years without complaints from any of my skeptical family members.  I eat them in moderation, but at least I feel like chocoate is part of my life again.  If you can't find them in any local health food stores, try online.
      People with GERD and gastritis don't react well to too much sugar at a time, so I use the light cherry pie filling.  After you add the almond extract and chocolate chips, you won't mind that there is less sugar.

                                                           Stromboli Dinner for Two

Filling for sandwich part:
1 cup chopped meat
2 tsp. chopped capers
1 tsp. basil
1/2 cup soy cheddar, jack, mozzarella cheese

Filling for dessert part:
1/2 can light cherry pie filling
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 tblsp. dairy free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray baking sheet with baking spray

Unroll dough on lightly floured surface.  Pat into a 12-inch square.  Cut in half.  Place the sandwich filling on one half and roll up and the dessert filling on the other half and roll up.  Place on baking sheet with seams down.  You may have to stretch the dough to cover the fillings and get them sealed.  Bake 15 - 20 min.  Watch to make sure how they are browning in your oven.  When they are golden brown, they are done.  Let them cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

     Next time I'll share my recipe for Orange Cake with Orange Frosting.  I get requests for this and it's easy.  I crave citrus flavors and this is one of my go to recipes where I get the flavor but I don't have to worry about the burning of the citric acid.

     Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment