Monday, October 8, 2012

Chili

     Chili was my favorite junk food before my diagnosis.  I bought the one in the can without beans and put it on hot dogs, with tortilla chips and cheese and in eggs.  After my diagnosis I thought I had to say good-bye.  And I did have to say good-bye to the one in the can, but I experimented until I got a recipe I could make for myself and not spend the next few hours feeling like my insides were on fire.  My recipe has beans because I know most people prefer chili with beans, although I didn't use the usual kidney beans because I don't care for them.  Instead I used small white beans because I like those better.  If you prefer chili with no beans, just leave them out.
     This recipe is ideal for a crock pot.  The longer it simmers, the better.  If you don't have one, just let the chili simmer on the stove at least an hour, but longer if you have the time.  Just remember to stir occasionally and not have the heat up too high.
     I also recommend a chocolate dessert.  If you are lactose intollerant, eat dairy free chocolate.  Chocolate will calm the heat of any of the ingredients in the chili and keep you from suffering from any symptoms.  Just a few bites will do the trick.
     Also I have included some ground savory in this recipe.  Any recipe which has beans I include this spice because it will keep you from suffering the symptoms one normally has from eating beans.  Enough said.

                                                                          Chili

1 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lb. hamburger
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of tomato soup and equal amount of lactose free milk
1/4 cup red wine
3 tblsp. chili sauce
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp. dijon mustard
2 tblsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. ea ground cumin, dill weed, oregano, ground savory, basil, paprika,
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Brown hamburger and drain any fat.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Mix tomato soup and lactose free milk and add to hamburger.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook for at least one hour on the stove or several hours in a crock pot.

Next week is New England Clam Chowder.  My daughter who lives in Pennsylvania tells me fall has definitely set in with cooler temps and the beginning of colored leaves.  Here in Southern California we are coming off a month of record heat and just beginning to cool so I thought the chili and clam chowder would be appropriate now.  See you next time

No comments:

Post a Comment