Monday, October 1, 2012

Orange Cake with Orange Frosting

     I love citrus flavors but after my diagnosis citrus fruit was no longer available for me.  What I needed to find was a way to have the flavor in a way that didn't upset my system.  I can usually get away with a little citrus juice in a dish if it is cooked, but I achieve a more intense flavor with zest from the peel or an equal proportion of vanilla and corresponding citrus extracts.  Instead of using just citrus extract, combine the same amount of vanilla extract and they work together to enhance the flavor.
     This recipe is very popular in my family and I often bring it to outings, usually as cupcakes.  I hope you enjoy it as well.

                                                                 Orange Cake

1 orange or lemon cake mix
zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp. each vanilla and orange extract
other ingredients listed on the cake box
optional: 1 drop red and 2 drops yellow food coloring to make the batter orange

Mix all of the ingredients together as instructed on the box and bake as instructed.

                                                               Orange Frosting

1 tub of white or vanilla frosting
2 tsp. orange zest
1/8 tsp. ea. vanilla and orange extract
optional:  1 drop red and 2 drops yellow food coloring.
Add sifted powdered sugar if the frosting is too thin.


Next weeks recipe is for chili.  Ever since I was diagnosed I have been hungry for chili, but, of course, I couldn't have it. But now I have come up with a recipe so I can and I'm going to share it with you.

Take care,

                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment