Monday, October 15, 2012

New England Clam Chowder

     New England clam chowder (white) sounded snug and cozy when I suggested it last week.  My daughter in Pittsburgh told me the temps were in the fifties and rainy and our temps  had dipped to the low seventies from the nineties so I was thinking soup.  Now, however, we are having another hot spell and the temps are in the high eighties so soup may not be on everyone's mind, but I did promise.
     I'm always envious when my husband orders clam chowder at a restaurant and I can't.  I always cheat and have a tiny taste.  It tastes rich and creamy.  I tried to duplicate it here for people like us.  This soup base can be used for other soups.  You can leave out the clams and make cream of potato soup or other vegetable soup.  You can add soy or rice cheese and make a cream cheese soup and add whatever other ingredients you want.

                                                       New England Clam Chowder

2 6.5 oz. cans minced clams and juice
3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 tblsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp.  white pepper
3 tblsp. stick margarine
6 tblsp. flour
2 cups lactose free milk
1 8oz. soy cream cheese with herbs and chives
1/2 tsp. ea. Old Bay Seasoning, dill weed
2 tsp. dried minced onions

     After potatoes are peeled and sliced, put them in a stock pot that has been sprayed with vegetable spray and had the olive oil added.  Brown the potatoes.  Add the clams and juice and rinse the cans with water and add.  Simmer until most of the liquid is gone.  Stir frequently to make sure the potatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
     Add the seasonings and margarine. Measure the milk and add the flour.  Whisk until the flour is combined.  Add milk and remaining ingredients to pan.  Mix to combine and simmer at least twenty minutes.  The longer it simmers the better it tastes.  If you prefer a thicker soup, let it simmer until it is thick.  If you prefer a thinner soup, add more milk.    Serves 4
     NOTE:  If you can't find soy cream cheese with herbs and chives, use plain soy cream cheese and add 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.

     Next time is Hungarian Goulash.  This is one of my daughter's favorite dishers, but when she would make it I felt like my insides were on fire, so I have reworked the recipe for people like us and I hope you will enjoy it.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment