Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Peach Cherry Almond Crumble

     With summer fruit in such plentiful supply, it's a good time to make pies, cobblers, trifles, crumbles, etc.  When I was growing up, my father always preferred his fruit fresh, so in the summer except for canning fruit, my mother and I never made anything with cooked fruit.  After I got married I was itching to get started. 
     Instead of making this recipe in a traditional baking dish, I made it in four ounce canning jars.  This made it the perfect serving size and if you wanted to travel with it to a picnic or family reunion, they would be easy as well because everyone could serve themselves.

                                              Peach Cherry Almond Crumble


Crumble
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
4 oz. almond paste
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 stick margarine, cold
2/3 cup chopped almonds

Filling
4 cups peaches, peeled and chopped
1 cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved
2 tblsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch

     Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray the inside of 12-4 oz. canning jars with baking spray.  Using a food processor, pastry cutter or two knives, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, egg, almond paste, and almond extract together.  Add the margarine to the mixture in pieces and mix together until the mixture is crumbly.   Divide the mixture in half.  Take half and divide it evenly among the 12 jars and gently press it in.  Add the chopped almonds to the other half and set aside
     Mix the peaches, cherries and sugar together.  (If fresh fruit isn't available use frozen.  If you would like a more even proportion of cherries to peaches, change accordingly.)  Sift the cornstarch over the fruit to make it easier to mix in.  Divide the fruit mixture between the 12 jars.  Top with the remaining crumble mixture.
     Set the jars on a cookie sheet which has sides and has been lined with parchment paper.  Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops begin to turn brown.  Remove from the oven to cool before serving. These can be served warm with lactose free ice cream or room temperature or cold with nondairy whipped topping.
     Next week I'll share my recipe for a refreshing summer drink.  Since I can't have iced tea or lemonade I've found an alternative I think everyone will enjoy.  See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment