Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cheese Enchiladas

     I knew that when I began having digestive problems Mexican food would be difficult for me but it was going to be a challenge I was going to have to meet head on because I love it too much to do without it.  Now that I have found some regular cheeses that are lactose free a whole new world has opened up to me.  I was having such a craving for a cheese enchilada and this really satisfied that craving.  You can make these with corn or flour tortillas.  I made mine with corn and the best corn tortillas I have found are at Whole Foods and are the sprouted corn tortillas.  They really made the difference in the taste of my enchiladas.

                                                                Cheese Enchiladas
                                       



Sauce
10 3/4 oz. can tomato soup and
   1 can of water
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt

12 corn or flour tortillas
2 2.5 oz. cans sliced black olives, drained
1/2 cup soy cheddar, jack, mozzarella style cheese
3 slices each muenster and Swiss lactose free slices
(If you can't find the cheese slices, increase the soy cheese amount)

     Put all the sauce ingredients in a pan and simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.  When you are finished making the enchiladas you will probably have about 2/3 cup left to make enchiladadas the next time.
     Prepare a 9-inch baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Heat two tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them flexible.  I like to wrap them in a damp paper towel first to keep them from drying out.  Spoon some sauce over the bottom of the baking dish.  Take out the first tortilla and lay it in the baking dish.  Spoon a little sauce in it, a little soy cheese, 1/4 slice each of the lactose free slices and some black olives and roll up.  Push the enchilada to the side and continue until all the tortillas have been filled.  Spoon some sauce over the top, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and olives.  Bake 20-30 minutes until bubbling and heated through.
     Next week I will be sharing my recipe for an easy chocolate milk shake.  Until then.


No comments:

Post a Comment