Tuesday, April 29, 2014

News for Those Who Are Lactose Intolerant

     Thanks to an article my son-in-law Mike found, a whole new world of cheese has been opened up to me.  What he found was an online article by Melanie Pinola. (http://melaniepinola.kinja.com).  In the article she explains that lactose in dairy products is found in sugar which you can check by looking at the nutrition label.  For instance this past week I tried chicken Marsala with Parmesan cheese on it and made a pizza with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on it.  I followed this up with a trip to the grocery store to check the nutrition labels of  romano, feta, gouda, mascarpone, gruyere, parmigiano regiano, cheddar, fontina, and brie cheeses and found they were all listed with zero sugar.  I checked ricotta and found it does have sugar so it remains on the list of cheeses lactose intolerant people can't eat.
     Everyone is different so go slowly with this and make sure each cheese agrees with you before going on to the next.  I also have a small serving the first time I try a new cheese to make sure it will agree with me.
     I'm really happy that a whole new world of cheese has been opened up to me.  This significantly expands the number of recipes I can now make.
     For those who want to read the entire article it can be found at http://lifehacker.com/the-best-cheese-to-eat-if-youre-lactose-intolerant-1563386663
     I hope this opens a world for you that you didn't know was available and makes eating so much more enjoyable.
     Next week I will be sharing tips on how to make a grilled pizza.  My daughter and her husband spent a summer experimenting on how to do this and then shared what they had learned with us.  They like a thicker crust than my husband and I do so I will share ideas on how to do both thick and thin. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment